Pages

Monday, 28 November 2011

Finally some action....

Here's a little picture to show you that I am in fact working on miniatures atm. It's the Legion of the Damned Army I discussed earlier.

I played my first game in about 5 years last friday... It was 2vs2 1000 pts. each. A weird matchup with Necron and IG vs. Orks and Space Wolves, but those were the armies present, so... I played Necrons and used my 3rd ed metal miniatures again which was kinda nostalgic too. It was a lot of having to go to the new codex to check stuff and naturally I didn't have any of the fun new stuff, just scarabs, immortals, warriors, destroyers and lord. I won't do a full battle report here, but suffice to say it was fun to play again although we lost in the end.

Thus I went home and tried to se what different armies I could think up for the new 'crons and see what funny stuff I could think off.

First off was the Special Characters:
I like the fluff of Imotekh, Nemesor, Vargard and Orikan, so I thought how to make a cool army for one of those. Nemesor + Vargard is to me perhaps the best all round combination, but I wanted to try and make a very special list and I felt this would just be a "generic" necron with a special lord choice only. I wanted a list that had some cool combos and could actually at least on a good day hold its own.

And no I won't make a Necron army before I finish with Legion of the Damned, but a guy can dream can't he? (...and make tons of theoretical armylists while at it?!)


The Sautekh Dynasty
2000 points Necron Armylist

HQ:
Imotekh the Stormlord
Harbinger of Destruction w/Eldritch Lance & Solar Pulse
3 Harbingers of Transmogrification w/Tremorstave

Troops:
9 Warriors + Ghost Ark
9 Warriors + Ghost Ark
8 Immortals w/Gauss Blasters
8 Immortals w/Tesla Carbines

Elites:
C'Tan Shard w/Writhing Worldscape & Grand Illusion

Fast Attack:
4 Canoptek Wraiths w/1 Whip
3 Canoptek Scarabs
3 Canoptek Scarabs

Heavy Support:
2 Canoptek Spyders
3 Canoptek Spyders
3 Canoptek Spyders

Total: 2006

The tactics is as follows:
Your Canoptek Spyders will take up a central role spending the whole game shitting Canoptek Scarabs to bolster your two swarms and close combat stuff that needs that monstrous touch.

The Scarabs should stay in range for 1-2 turns to get bolstered, so that they don't shoot so far ahead they are out of range of the Spyders reinforcements. Scarabs should ideally swarm transports and chew it to bits so that there are no room for disembarkation slaying the squad.

Wraiths are there to assault in concert with the Scarabs on dedicated close combat units or other stuff, forcing the worst parts of the enemy squad to I1, thus allowing the scarabs massive amount of attacks to finish the squads armour and possibly the whole squad. The Wraiths will lay into what's left. I'm not sure if that means the remainder will have no armour (it does say immediately, but then again I2 should strike at the same time, so...) but that's probably to be FAQed anyway.

The C'Tan is there to give you repositionings (Grand Illusion) to help you avoid bad judgements when placing troops or reacting to enemy placements. Your main use for him is just to have him on the board and use Writhing Worldscape to make all difficult terrain dangerous terrain for the enemy. He is also intended as a late game heavy hitter when the threats to his safety have been picked off somewhat.

The Troops are 2 units of Immortals and 2 units of Warriors in a Ghostark. Immortals for claiming defensive objectives and Warriors for offensive ones. The Gauss Blaster Squad is joined by Imotekh and the Destruction Harbinger. Each of the other squads get a Transmogrification one.

Turn sequence:
During the first turns Imotekh will give Night Fighting and pick off the odd model or two with his Lord of the Storm. The Cryptek in the same squad as him will give solar flare when night fighting are over to give you one extra turn of nightfighting. The unit of immortals can fire their Gauss Blasters 24" due to Imotekh being a Phaeron, and as such should coupled with teh Lance of the Harbinger be able to take down vehicles nicely, especially if softened up by scarabs of course (AV11 is possible, but scarabs can chew things down to AV 6-7 without problems in big swarms.)
The other immortal squad with their Harbinger and Tremorstave will target assault units to force them to move through difficult limiting their advance and making them loose some members also. The same goes for warriors who must broadside units and tremorstave them also, again forcing them to move through dangerous terrain.

Spyders should spend 1-2 turns boosting scarab swarms before joining the fray too.

Scarabs and wraiths should assault enemies as quickly as possible. Wraiths will assault with their whips to force the enemy into I1 on their most lethal members (Power Fists, Power Weapons, Monstrous Creatures, etc.) so that the massive amounts of scarabs can slay them before they can strike.

I feel this is a rather fluffy army, since it features the whole night fighting rather well, and whatever goes into the Storm will meet a host of uncaring machines both willing and able to slay whem with ranged or close combat abilities...

The army might of course have problems with fast moving dedicated assault units, but I still think it would be rather fun to play for both you and your opponent (provided you avoid the cheesier scarab congaline tactics, etc. perhaps?)

Cheers!

No comments: