I'm about to get the last of my models for the Legion from GW (hopefully today or tomorrow), and I started looking at what I can do with my army after a while. I want options so that I don't play an identical army all the time. Granted that would be a challenge, but after a few games your mates would invent ways to counter you more effectively. Thus I need options while still remaining true to my theme...
Here's what I ended up with...
HQ:
The Sanguinor - Expensive, but I like it... He's gonna be my Count-As Elam Courbray (8th Company Fire Hawks Assault Captain) if I include another HQ. T4 and W3 means he will need some attention to not go down quickly though since he can't hide in a squad. A real monster once he lands in close combat though.
Mephiston - Again expensive, but I also like him. 6 S10 attacks on the charge will murder tanks! He has to start on the table though, which means you have to be careful when deploying.
Librarian - Another one? Well, they are rather cheap, can boost a squad well and makes sure to add what powers you need for each mission.
Elites:
Furioso Dreadnought - I like these. I wasn't sure to include them at first, since the fluff says that most "equipment" were lost and reviving these dudes takes time. The Apocalypse Datasheet says you can take Dreadnoughts though, so I guess I might include one eventually. Will probably be a libby though... The main problem I have with them ruleswise now is that they have to have a Drop Pod to Deep Strike, and I want my force to arrive ethereally, not by a big hunk of "soon to be scenery"... The jury is out on this one!
Terminators - Might include these guys if I need to babysit an objective or something, since the rest of the army is more about assault than ranged combat. I'm also a huge fan of Bobinators flame-termies even if I don't want to have that much flames on my normal troops, I might make my terminators something like that (I only hope I can make as good a painjob)
Troops:
Assault Squad - These guys will result in more wounds for the squad, but worse save and worse weapons (Chainsword < Glave Encarmine). I might include a squad or two if I plan on going up against horde armies though. Tyranids and Orks spring to mind.
Fast Attack:
Vanguard Squad - These dudes are probably the first to see the light of day. One tactic I know I will face is pillboxing (IE. an army massing together (without my being able to use cover to reach them so that I have to land in front of them and be shot at by a whole army.) Vanguards save me from that fate by landing and hopefully charging the enemy in their first turn. Thus they will be in combat, can't hopefully be shot at, and their melee will limit what parts of the enemy army can shoot at the rest of my army which land on the other side of the melee. Can go massively wrong scattering into the army and dying of course, or can slay the first squad and be in a ripe range for retribution the next turn since I can't consolidate into another melee, not to mention coming on from reserves late leaving the others out of charge-range, but that's how it goes...
Obviously I will strive to arrive at the 200-230 points mark so that most units can just be switched with existing Sanguinary Guard ones...
Option A:
Minus: Dante, 4x Sanguine Guard squads
Plus: Sanguinor, 2x Assault Squads, 2x Vanguard Squads
Uses: Horde-armies (Orks, Tyranids) or possibly GEQ armies (IG, Tau)
Why: Exchange power weapon attacks with more bodies that delivers more attacks to take down whole squads. Not sure if I wanna change for GEQs though, since not removing the whole squad is preferable to being gunned down, but IG often have powers to reroll even made saves to run from the legion so I might just wanna stick to 2+ with FNP.
Option B:
Minus: 2x Sanguine Guard squads, Librarian
Plus: Sanguinor, 2x Vanguard Squads
Uses: Pillboxing
Why: First turn assault removes (hopefully) enemies chance of using the whole army against my squads piecemeal. Vanguard squads also means sergeants, which can benefit from the Sanguinors Blessings.
Option C:
Minus: 2x Sanguine Guard squads
Plus: 2x Terminator Squads
Uses: Camping objectives
Why: Better at camping, ensure you can still shoot at much of the enemy (24" Storm Bolters + Cyclone can go a long way) and will deny the enemy your objectives while you hopefully charge theirs.
So there you have it... More versatility might come later too, when I think up new combos. The point is that I should have something to wrongfoot each of my enemies up my sleeve.
Cheers! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment